* Feb. 1, 2004: Tragedy strikes the Super Bowl when Janet Jackson’s breast attacks the world. Never forget. (Still on YouTube, I bet!)
* Feb. 1, 1884: 1st ed. Oxford English Dictionary is published. People all over U.S. ditch Spanish and Chinese in favor of upstart language.
* Feb. 2: Groundhog Day! If Phil sees shadow, 6 weeks of Limbaugh. During Leap Year, signifies coming of 4th Jonas Brother and apocalypse.
* Feb. 2, 1954: Baseball player and English king John Tudor is born. Proceeds to divorce and/or execute wives that don’t die in childbirth.
* Feb. 3, 1918: Twin Peaks streetcar tunnel opens. Serves a mighty good cherry pie with coffee at every stop.
* Feb. 4, 2004: Facebook is founded by Al Gore and made famous by Oprah Winfrey. According to this status message.
* Feb. 5, 1958: The Air Force loses a hydrogen bomb off the Georgia coast. Still out there, treasure hunters! Wear your lead pirate hat!
* Feb. 6, 1756: Happy birthday to the late Aaron Burr – politician, gunslinger, and Ironside star.
* Feb. 7, 1978: Actor and cradle robbery bait Ashton Kutcher’s born – but not before reaching 1-million Tweets ahead of CNN.
Starting with this post, I’ll be sharing occasional exercises for roleplayers (and writers in general) to help flesh out their characters.
Most of us have grown up under the influence of someone we’ve looked up to and admired. So, put yourself in the shoes of your characters and try to determine who they might have considered a mentor during their childhood and adolescence. Who were they? What role did that person play in shaping the character? How did the relationship evolve over time? Where are they now?
Please post blurbs about your characters as comments replying to this post.
What I’m Reading
Blackout by Connie Willis
What I’m Playing
Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War II
You Don't Know Jack
World of Warcraft
Left 4 Dead 2
What I’m Writing
No Son of Hekayt - Book I: Artifacts
Free to download in PDF format!
Coming soon: 31 Days of OtherSpace - 1 work of fiction a day during March 2011.